Friday, January 12, 2007

Just Another Small Fish In An Already Crowded Pond

Well, I’ve done it. I have finally joined the already overwhelming conglomeration of witty, creative, pithy, and sometimes downright, outrageous individuals (Old Bitter Balls-Kudos to you Dog!) who on a daily basis bare their souls, thoughts and on occasional rantings. I have been enjoying wandering around this beautiful planet of ours via other Bloggers and have enjoyed the trip. I would like to share with the world what I believe to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. I will on occasion also rant, guffaw and occasionally mumble audibly but mostly I will share the wonder that is the Lakes Region area of New Hampshire, USA and my small little piece of heaven that us locals call

GILMILAND

A Bit of History…
“First known as Gilmantown, the town was home to the Gilman family, of which there were twenty-four members receiving land grants. At one time it was the second-largest town in the state, following Portsmouth. A parish first called Averytown, the site of an unprofitable iron-mining enterprise, is still known as Gilmanton Iron Works. Gilmanton was incorporated in 1727 and his Majesty’s Colonial Governor, John Wentworth, signed the Charter on The 20th of May.”

Our population at last check was still under 4000 people. When the wind blows too hard the lights still flicker and that is just the way I like it. It is also the only place in the State of New Hampshire that you can wander around and drink “Adult Beverages and it is not against the law! See why I stay.

It was made famous by author Grace Metalious because of her scandalous book Peyton Place. Some of the characters (whose names were changed to protect the innocent) still live here. Although the book itself is not about Gilmanton Iron Works exclusively, it is based in part on our town and the surrounding area.


The picture above is an aireal view of my little town. I live within walking distance of the lake you can see in the pic. But I prefer a little lake a bit farther down the road as it is less known to the "Invaders" of summer. This beautiful lake is called Manning Lake. I took this while kayaking one Sunday this past October.




I have spent many hours floating peacfully (very buzzed-remember drinking in public is OK!) on this lake. Most of the time joined by these guys. They are not the only "Loons" around, trust me!





And last but not least.. this is my humble abode. I built it ( with Sassy's help and many other friends) for myself and 3 kids in 2000. The first morning there I woke up and let the cats out only to hear one of them scream almost instantly. I ran back to the door and found a very large coyote (size of a big German Shephard) standing on my deck looking in the screen door. He wanted breakfast I suppose. Luckily it was my big old cat (17lbs) and he managed to escape with only a patch of fur missing.

Well that is it for the first installment of Dear Prudence's Meanderings in Peyton Place. I hope you enjoyed it. Bear with me while I figure out the formatting of this Bloggy thing. Peace Out!


10 comments:

Sassy Sundry said...

Dear Prudence Yetta, you came out to play!

Oh hurrah. I wanted to cajole you into doing this myself, but I figured you'd come around.

Great labels. And great pictures.

dive said...

Welcome, Yetta, to the world of Sad Ranty Folk.

I love your home, and Gilmiland looks beautiful (a bit like my own Norfolk Broads only with lumps on).

Can't wait to hear (and see) more.

Sassy Sundry said...

She lives in one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Really. Iron Works is lovely.

Dear Prudence said...

Thanks Sassy and Dive. I will certainly post more, however I suffer the same probelms as Dive with dialup,add an antique computer.. forget about it!

Dive.. we have lots of lumps around here. Will share more Monday. Hope you all have a great weekend.

dive said...

You too, Yetta.

dive said...

So now it's tuesday and I realise you didn't specify which monday you'd be posting some more of your yummy landscape.

You do realise that Sassy and I will bully you until you post again, don't you?

Dear Prudence said...

Yes I do understand the consequences..but perhaps I like it! New manager started yesterday so I was tied up most of the day.
Fear not, I will produce!

Sassy Sundry said...

Hey, in the words of Knudsen, Blogjinx. I was just going to harass you!

Sassy Sundry said...

Who, who?

Dear Prudence said...

Ok, the new one is up! Sassy will get a kick out of some of it.
Sassy, we hired a new Construction Operations Manager. I am soooo excited! He really has a great vision and the experience to back it up!