Monday, September 10, 2007

MONDAY MELEE

1: The Misanthropic.(Name something - about humanity - you absolutely hate).

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I dont have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eyeIts interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the
newsroom got a Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You dont really need to find out whats going on
You dont really want to know just how far its gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybodys pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo
We can dance and sing
When its said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that crap is king
Give us dirty laundry!

Don Henley – I Can’t Stand Still-Dirty Laundry

2: The Meretricious:
(Expose someone or something that's phony, fraudulent or bogus).
When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you If your heart is in your dream
No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star
As dreamers do Fate is kind
She brings to those to love
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing Like a bolt out of the blue
Fate steps in and sees you through
When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true

Performed by: Jimini Cricket-Quick Robyn Step on Him Too!

3: The Malcontent:(Name something you're unhappy with).
Well baby, there you stand
With your little head, down in your hand
Oh, my God, you can't believe it's happening again
Your baby's gone, and you're all alone and it looks like the end.
And you're back out on the street.
And you're tryin' to remember.
How will you start it over?
You don't know what became.
You don't care much for a stranger's touch,
But you can't hold your man.
You never thought you'd be alone this far down the line
And I know what's been on your mind
You're afraid it's all been wasted time

The autumn leaves have got you thinking about the first time that you fell
You didn't love the boy too much, no, no you just loved the boy to well,
So you live from day to day, and you dream about tomorrow, oh.
And the hours go by like minutes and the shadows come to stay
So you take a little something to make them go away
And I could have done so many things, baby
If I could only stop my mind from wondrin' what I left behind and
from worrying 'bout this wasted time

The Eagles-Wasted Time

4: The Meritorious.
(Give someone credit for something and name it if you can).


Cold late night so long ago
When I was not so strong you know
Oh one man came to me
Never seen eyes so blue
You know I could not run away
It seemed we'd seen each other in a dream
It seemed like he knew me
He looked right through me, yeah
"Come on home, girl" he said with a smile
"You don't have to love me and
Let's get high awhile
But try to understand
Try to understand
Try try try to understand
I'm a magic man."

Winter nights we sang in tune
Played inside the months of moon
Never think of never
Let this spell last forever
Summer lover passed to fall
Tried to realize it all
Mama says she's worried
Growing up in a hurry, yeah
"Come on home, girl" mama cried on the phone
"Too soon to lose my baby and my girl should be at home!"
"But try to understand, try to understand
Try try try to understand
He's a magic man, mama, ah ...
He's a magic man"

"Come on home, girl" he said with a smile
"I cast my spell of love on you, a woman from a child!
But try to understand, try to understand, oh ... oh ...
Try to understand
Try try try to understand
He's a magic man!" oh yeah
Oh, you've got the magic hands

"Come on home, girl" he said with a smile
"You don't have to love me and
Let's get high awhile
But try to understand
Try to understand
Try try try to understand
He's a magic man." yeah ... oh ...

Heart- Magic Man

5: The Mirror.
(See something good about yourself and name it).


Her hair is Harlow gold
Her lips a sweet surprise
Her hands are never cold
She's got Betty Davis eyes
She'll turn her music on you
You won't have to think twice
She's pure as New York snow
She's got Betty Davis eyes

And she'll tease you
She'll unease you
All the better just to please you
She's precocious and she knows
Just what it takes to make a pro blush
She's got Greta Garbo stand off sighs
She's got Betty Davis eyes

She'll let you take her home
It wets her appetite
She'll lay you on the throne
She's got Betty Davis Eyes
She'll take a tumble on you
Roll you like you were dice
Until you come out blue
She's got Betty Davis eyes

She'll expose you
When she snows you
Hope you're pleased
With the crumbs she'll throw you
She's ferocious and she knows
Just what it takes to make a pro blush
All the boys think she's a spy
She's got Betty Davis eyes

Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes

6: The Make-Believe:(Name something you wish for).

Tired of my beeper, tired of my phone
Tired of this tired ol' tie I got on
Sick of this traffic jam that I'm in
We all get sick of it all now and then
When I've had it up to here I go down there
To guitars, tiki bars and a whole lotta love
Mangoes and Marley, you know, fit me like a glove
Sixth gear with nowhere to steer
When enough is enough
It's guitars, tiki bars and a whole lotta love
I feel like a fish jerked out of the sea
Or a bird in a cage that's never seen a key
Sick of this grind and I think that I ought
To bring this grind to a grinding halt
Now I've had it up to here
Let's go down there
To guitars, tiki bars and a whole lotta love
Mangoes and Marley, you know, fit me like a glove
Sixth gear with nowhere to steer
When enough is enough
It's guitars, tiki bars and a whole lotta love.

KENNY CHESNEY-Guitars and Tiki Bars

7 comments:

Maria said...

Ah. You hit the nail right on the head now didn't you?

dive said...

Oh, Prudence. Every track made me reach for my iPod and say "Wow! I've not heard that in years! What a great song!"
I'm starting with Heart's Dreamboat Annie album and will have a Prudence-inspired nostalgia-fest today.
The only one I've not got is the last one, so I'll substitute John Hiatt's The Tiki Bar Is Open (as I know you like him).
Cheers!

Dear Prudence said...

Maria, some days my brain sees things clearly!

Dive, always glad to bring back memories to the foreground. You should actually check out Kenny Chesney's Be As You Are-(songs from an old blue chair)album it is fun and good hang around music. I am not a big country fan but this one is more mainstream.

dive said...

Mum's a great country fan, Prudence.
I'll do my usual thing and recommend it to her, then cherry-pick the best tracks for my iPod.
What a scuzzball I am.

zirelda said...

mmmm, I know and love them all except the Guitars and Tiki Bars one.

I have Tiki torches in the yard.....

I know, nothing to do with the post. Sorry.

Kate Isis said...

I love wish upon a star. Thanks for reminding of it xoxox

M.Benaut said...

Dear P,
Where are you these days? BTW I think you should definitely post a new avatar with your new sassy hair cut.
xxx Mme Benaut