Monday, October 29, 2007

Another Twist on Monday Melee

I was driving back to the grocery store on Saturday night to retrieve 2 bottles of wine that had mysteriously gone missing from my grocery cart while I ran back to the car for alternate funding (long story-#1 Son in VA. Emergency). Evidently while my cart sat waiting for me, someone stole my 2 bottles of wine right out of the cart. Anyway, as I was driving back, a commercial came on for a play in Boston. That got my mind wandering and I thought, cool let's do a Melee based on Plays. So here is mine.

1: The Misanthropic.(Name something - about humanity - you absolutely hate).
One pair of arms is like another
I don't know why or who's to blame,
I'll go with you or with your brother
It's all the same, it's all the same.
This I have learned: That when the light's out,
No man will bum with special flame,
You'll prove to me before the night's out,
You're all the same, you're all the same.
So do not talk to me of love,
I'm not a fool with starry eyes,
Just put your money in my hand,
And you will get what money buys!
One pair of arms is like another,
I don't know why or who's to blame,
I'll go with you or with your brother
It's all the same, it's all the same.
This I have learned: That when the light's out,
No man will bum with special flame,
You'll prove to me before the night's out,
You're all the same, you're all the same.

2: The Meretricious:(Expose someone or something that's phony, fraudulent or bogus).
A little gossip
A little chat
A little idol talk of this
And that
I'll tell him all
The troubles I have had
And since he doesn't hear
At least he won't feel bad
A... little gossip
A little chat
A little idol talk of this
And that
If no one listens
Then it's just as well
At least I won't get caught
In any lies I tell


3: The Malcontent:(Name something you're unhappy with).
Why does he do the things he does?
Why does he do these things?
Why does he march Through that dream that he's in,
Covered with glory and rusty old tin?
Why does he live in a world that can't be,
And what does he want of me...
What does he want of me?
Why does he say the things he says?
Why does he say these things?
"Sweet Dulcinea" and "missive" and such,
"Nethermost hem of thy garment I touch,"
No one can be what he wants me to be,
Oh, what does he want of me...
What does he want of me?

4: The Meritorious.(Give someone credit for something and name it if you can).
ALDONZA
Why do you do these things?
DON QUIXOTE What things?
ALDONZA These ridiculous... the things you do!
DON QUIXOTE I hope to add some measure of grace to the world.
ALDONZA The world's a dung heap and we are maggots that crawl on it!
DON QUIXOTE My Lady knows better in her heart.
ALDONZA What's in my heart will get me halfway to hell. And you, Señor Don Quixote-you're going to take such a beating!
DON QUIXOTE Whether I win or lose does not matter.
ALDONZA What does?
DON QUIXOTE Only that I follow the quest.


5: The Mirror.(See something good about yourself and name it).
I like him!
I really like him.
Tear out my fingernails one by one
I like him!
I don't have a very good reason
Since I've been with him cuckoonuts have been
In season!
But there is nothing I can do
Chop me up for onion stew
Still I'll yell to the sky
Though I can't tell you why
That I like him

I like him!
I really like him
Pluck me as a scolded chicken!
I like him!
Don't ask me for a why or wherefore
Since I don't have a very good because
Or therefore
You can barbecue my nose
Make a giblet of my toes
Make me freeze
Make me fry
Make me sigh
Make me cry
Still I'll yell to the sky
Though I can't tell you why
That I... like... him!

6: The Make-Believe:(Name something you wish for).
To dream the impossible dream,
To fight the unbeatable foe,
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go;
To right the unrightable wrong.
To love, pure and chaste, from afar,
To try, when your arms are too weary,
To reach the unreachable star!
This is my Quest to follow that star,
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far,
To fight for the right Without question or pause,
To be willing to march into hell
For a heavenly cause!
And I know, if I'll only be true
To this glorious Quest,
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest.
And the world will be better for this,
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach the unreachable stars!

8 comments:

Maria said...

Ah...what a wonderful Monday Melee. I saw Man of La Mancha when I was in grade school and studied Don Quixote in high school. I almost named Liv Dulcinea.

So, you KNOW I loved this.

dive said...

Now that is a truly waesome take on the melee, Prudence!
Well done!

Good old Don Quixote: "I hope to add some measure of grace to the world."
What a perfect sentiment.

And yikes! I just glanced up at my bookshelves. Rows of Shakespeare, Dante, Milton, Gœthe … You've really upped the ante, Prudence. I'm going to have to try this one.

dive said...

"waesome"?
Sorry, I meant "awesome".
Damn these typos.

Dear Prudence said...

Maria, glad you liked it. I also saw TMOLM whenI was younger. My mom took me to the Charles Playhouse in Boston and at the time Richard Harris was the lead. I fell in love, right on the spot.

I giggled when I thought about the concept because I knew you would get a kick out of it!. I forgive you for your typos if you forgive my poor english and grammer!

M.Benaut said...

This is just plain terrific, Prudence. As for English - only a couple of things:

Idol = a symbol or token that one worships. As in thow shalt not worship any idol. Idolatry is forbidden to Christians.
idle = lack of busy-ness as in "idle hands get into mischief"

Grammar is spelt with an "a".

xxx Mme Benaut

Dear Prudence said...

Thanks Mme!

lynn said...

Dive, Goethe; wonderful...
Dear Prudence what an inspired Melee. I enjoyed it all.

Dear Prudence said...

Glad you did Lynn!