Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thanks for reminding me M Benaut.

While strolling through Adelaide Daily Photos complements of M Benaut I noticed his picture of some very strange looking trees in his post of 4/4/08. My mind immediately went skipping back through time to a visit I had made to Ohio. I was there on business and found myself a bit lost on the way back to my hotel. While trying to remember my way I came across this field and in it stood the following. I thought it was one of the weirdest, remarkable and silly things I had run across in a long time. Hope you get a giggle.


It is an art/sculptural piece by Malcolm Cochran in 1994 with funding from the Dublin Ohio's Arts Council and is a tribute to Sam Frantz, who developed hybrid corn in the area from the 30’s through the 60’s. These ears of corn are over 7 ft tall if I remember correctly and there are 109 of them. Quite a sight.

15 comments:

Vic said...

If only they could develop corn to grow that big! Chickens would never go hungry again!

Dear Prudence said...

Hee Hee Vic. They are very detailed which makes them look really cool up close.

dive said...

Amazing!
Though something about them makes me want to clench my buttocks very tightly together.
Love the new look, Prudence.

Maria said...

My first thought was that I am the sort of person who navigates by landmarks rather than directions, so this would be a great thing to remember when trying to get back to my hotel.

Scout said...

Wow, Ohio has character after all. Dublin is not far from where my daughter goes to school. It's a pretty wealthy town--I believe the phrase would be "in tall corn."

M.Benaut said...

I reckon that your bloke must have sent his rejects to Adelaide !!

The funniest comment I got was from a dear friend in France who said,

"On dirait des supositoires !"

Dear Prudence said...

My French is quite rusty but supository I understand!

MmeBenaut said...

Gosh, they are almost as ugly as ours!
Love the tune you have playing - cute.

Rich said...

Only in Ohio!! It's great that while being lost you could take the time to stop and enjoy this. Most people would be too preoccupied with finding their way.

savannah said...

hilarious! glad you took pictures, sugar! xox

Kate Isis said...

hey hun, just dropping in to say hi.
Hugs xoxoxox

Shan said...

Me too :). I'm glad you came by my page the other day. It's been fun having extra time for blogging around lately and meeting new people. What a diverse crowd we have here!
And, sorry about your sweet kitty Prudence. Those longtime pets are especially hard get over.

MmeBenaut said...

Prudence, why aren't you posting? I miss you.

Shan said...

Dear Prudence, I just read your comments about R.L. over at M's blog. You hadn't left one the first time I read, and when I saw the other comments I felt the same way you did but just wanted to cry and rock in the corner instead of respond. I don't mind us all having different opinions and perspectives. In fact, I find it very interesting usually. But when it gets so angry and personal I can't always handle the attacks. I'm not interested in a fight either. I just don't always want my views to be considered idiotic. It can wear on a girl at times. I appreciate you Pru, and still find you ALL to be special and wonderfully unique people!! xo

MmeBenaut said...

Dear Prudence: it's already the 5th June down here so I thought I'd pop over and wish you a very happy birthday. Hope you have a great day. xxx