Thursday, August 21, 2008

Childhood Memories

After reading "Maria's post and having salivated over Dive's new cooking adventures I will share with you my Grandmothers recipe for Eight Layer Dinner. As a little girl of 4 or five I can remember going to her very tidy, almost sterile house every Sunday for dinner, after church of course. The moment her door opened we were welcomed in, almost dragged by our noses by the smell of her cooking. This is a very easy recipe and it is done in one pot so clean up is a breeze. You also get all of your food groups at once. Give it a try I think you will enjoy.

In a large Ducth Oven ( I use a 8 quart Ducth Oven)
Layer #1-Dice 4 med/large Potatos into the bottom of the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
Layer #2-Slice in rings 3 large onions-salt & pepper
Layer #3-Slice in rings 3 large green peppers-salt & pepper
Layer #4-1 cup of uncooked rice-I use Jasmine rice-salt & pepper
Layer #5-1 1/2-2 pounds lean ground beef 85% works well and adds a good flavor. Spread over the top like a lid and salt & pepper
Layer #6- 1 large can of diced tomatoes, spread evenly over the ground beef and you know the drill- salt and pepper.
Layer #7- 1 can of tomato soup mixed with one can of water poured over the top. I usually use a knife to pry the side so the liquid gets down in the dish.
Layer #8- 8 strips of raw bacon. I usually crisscross them so they look pretty and salt and pepper.
Cover and bake for +/- 1.5 hours at 350F. Depending on the rice, you might have to dig a bit to see how it is doing. Uncover and crank the oven to about 450 to crip the bacon. Take out and let sit for 20-30 min. before serving.
You may think that salt and peppering every layer ist overkill but trust me, I have tried to cut it down and the difference in the end product is not the same.
Well, have a go and let me know what you think. Next time maybe I will share her Drunken Potroast recipe. Oh my!

9 comments:

dive said...

I love the image of kids being dragged by their noses by the smell of good home cooking, Prudence.
Brilliant!

Good God, that recipe sounds fantastic! Hoorah for your Grandmother.
I'm going to try that when the weather gets cold. I have a feeling that if I make a big ol' pot it will last me all weekend and improve the second day.
Yummy!

Dear Prudence said...

Feet off the floor, floating in the door kind of nose grabbing smell. You are so right; the second and third day it is even better.

dive said...

I can't wait!
Roll on winter …

Maria said...

Good grief...that sounds incredible. And so easy that even I couldn't mess it up. Grocery day is tomorrow...

Terroni said...

Blogland is leaving me hungry lately. I don't think you should be allowed to talk about food this good unless you're willing to ship your favorite poor med student some samples.

;)

Rich said...

Thanks, it won't be long before we see Dive on the cooking channel, maybe on Iron chef.

Shan said...

YUM! You described this so well Prudence, I'm not waiting for cold weather to hit. My husband will be so glad if you guys can stir the dinner maker up and get her going again. I tend to phone it in a little too often.

Avril Fleur said...

My goodness, that recipe sounds divine! What a great meal for the coming fall and winter seasons! Thanks, I will be trying this as soon as the weather gets cooler!

Jules said...

Hi Prudence - have been meaning to pop over and say hi for ages and my connections are fantastic today so thought I'd take the opportunity!!

Hi from Rabaul - a friend of Dive's is a friend of mine I say!!! Will spend some time reading your recipe (that sounds yummy) and your older posts - cheers!!!!